The Lairds of Scourie, the Mackays, built a fortified house here in the late 16th Century. It was extensively altered and enlarged in the early 1840's to become a coaching inn known as the Stafford Arms, now the Scourie Hotel. This was the birthplace in 1640 of General Hugh Mackay of Scourie who rose to become Commander-in-Chief of the army in Scotland for William and Mary in 1689 and a privy councillor. He fought at Killiecrankie and was killed at the Battle of Steinkirk in 1692.
The local people lived by farming and fishing. The Reverend Alexander Falconer in the Statistical Account of 1793 remarked on their self-sufficiency in both food and craftsmen.